Saturday, March 20, 2010

Scripture Carvings...

Scripture Carvings...

A righteous man is cautious in friendship...

Proverbs 12:26

· Wisdom for choosing friends.

invite the poor

Luke 14:13

· God has a special concern for the poor.

3 “Give justice to the poor and the orphan;
uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.
4 Rescue the poor and helpless;
deliver them from the grasp of evil people.

Psalm 82:3-4

· God has a special concern for the poor.

the unfaithful have a craving

Proverbs 13:2

· Cravings … not the best.

when the people of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and Ai, 4 they resorted to a ruse

Joshua 9:3-4, 14

· Joshua and the leaders get duped.

· V14, The men of Israel sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the LORD.

o This is how God’s people got duped.

o Our best plans and reasoning are no replacement for prayer.

· V18, The whole assembly grumbled against the leaders…

o For good reason they grumbled.

o Leaders carry a weight of responsibility.

· BE careful in alliances … the same principle of personal friends also holds true for the collective body of God’s people.

There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a man. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!

Joshua 10:14

· God still fights for his people.

When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, "You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.

Joshua 13:1

· Did Joshua retire too early? Sometimes we just want the sideline when in fact there is still so much more that God wants to accomplish in and through us … there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.

Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

Luke 18:19

· That includes me too. And you too!

"What is impossible with men is possible with God.”

Luke 18:27

· Once again, God’s abilities exceeds our barriers.

"Receive your sight; your faith has healed you."

Luke 18:42

· There is a relationship between faith and sight. (Sometimes our dependence upon sight kills our faith. Sometimes our strong faith enables our sight.)

11 Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;

give me
an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.

Psalms 86:11-12

· Oh, God! That I would have such a heart!

However, when the Israelites grew stronger, they subjected the Canaanites to forced labor but did not drive them out completely.

Joshua 17:13,

· Usually when we are feeling strong, we make decisions based upon what “we think”. God’s command could not have been clearer: All were to be driven from the land.

o I like feeling “strong” … even as a church.

o But perhaps it is better when I FEEL my weakness and therefore am dependent upon God’s strength.

Now therefore I tell you that I will not drive them out before you; they will be thorns in your sides and their gods will be a snare to you."

Judges 2:3

· What thorns are in your life that are the direct result of half-hearted devotion and obedience?

· Partial obedience is disobedience.