Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Prayer

Please be in prayer for my dear friends Gerald and Tammy Sharon. Gerald and I have been best friends since the days of seminary. Tammy was diagnosed with Colon cancer (stage 4) that has spread to the liver and abdominal wall.

Today's scripture reading was especially poignant.

Deuteronomy 26: 18 - God declares we are his treasured possession.
  • When we go through seasons of suffering and brokenness we can be tempted to think we are of no value to God. We feel abandoned and discarded like a broken toy that no longer is loved or wanted by the child. But God's word is constant and true. Even in our brokenness ... we are treasured.
Luke 11:1-13
  • There are seasons when we all need to ask the Lord once again, "teach me to pray".
  • The thrust of Jesus' teaching is just this: God is a good Father who loves you and gives good to you ... even if you don't understand it. So keep coming to Him.
Psalm 77
  • The thing I love about Psalms is that it puts into words the groanings of my heart when I don't know how to pray.
  • This Psalm is my prayer for Gerald and Tammy. I intercede for them, crying out to the Lord and remembering His great miracles. He is the one who can guide them through this overwhelming sea.