Thursday, March 4, 2010

Refill

Sabbatical is all about refill.

Seems like a simple lesson, huh? We all do this on a regular basis. There are even warning lights and bells that sound if you wait too long before "refill". There is a little gage, right there on the dashboard to tell you, "It's time! Refill! Refill now!"

But sometimes with all our busyness and efficiency we think to ourselves, "I've got time. I only want to go to the next exit anyway. I'm confident we an make it."
Well...at least that is what I thought ... and that is why we RAN OUT OF GAS IN OUR FUEL EFFICIENT PRIUS!

We are cruising down I-24 on the way to Paducah ... an appointment stop ... we were confident we knew just how far we could travel on low fuel ... but we were wrong ... 70 mph ... dashboard warning lights flash, warning bells go off ... 52 mph ... at least we are still cruising! Incline ... 48 mph ... 36 mph ... 32 mph ... no more dashboard lights ... crawling now toward the exit.

Running on battery power. Looking for an extra set of Energizer Size D batteries (just kidding) ... and with a wheeze the fuel efficient Prius gives up the ghost and we come to a stop.

Exit 7 on I-24 is a long ramp. We turn everything off. Give it a minute. Turn it on and it springs to life! We drive another 100 feet. Repeat this over and over and yard by yard; foot by foot; inch by inch we crawl toward the promise of a BP station.

I get out and push.

We walk the last 50 yards to the gas station. Buy a gallon. Walk back.

Ever run out of fuel? I'm not talking cars now. Do you ignore the warning signs that you are running low? Do you think to yourself with confidence ... I can make one more ...

First stop on my refuel journey ...

Crazy Love by Francis Chan. This is the first book I'm reading on my quest for refill ... it is also the first read that our elders will study together this year.

Maybe you need to stop for a refill. Get a copy and make the journey with me.